Private Autism Spectrum Assessment in London
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a developmental condition that impacts upon how people see the world and respond to it. As its name suggests, it is a ‘spectrum disorder’, and thus the severity of ASD can vary significantly across individuals. The term ‘ASD’ is relatively new incorporating both Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism, previously referred to as separate conditions.
It is estimated that approximately one in every hundred children have ASD, and it is four times more commonly diagnosed in males. It is a lifelong condition and as such there is no ‘cure’. The way autism affects an individual can change as they grow and develop, and experience different environments. Many individuals with ASD grow up to live independently and have successful jobs and families. For others, more specialist support may be required throughout their lives such as via supported living.
In the last 10-years, the number of people diagnosed with ASD has increased, possibly due to better awareness and diagnostic availability. This is a positive step in the right direction, as when appropriate support is accessed at a younger age it is easier to understand a person’s development and support their needs in the correct way. Even if an individual is diagnosed in adulthood, getting a diagnosis can be very helpful for identifying their strengths and the things that they struggle with so that appropriate support can be provided.
It is important to remember that a diagnosis of autism can impact people in different ways. For some, it’s a relief to find out why they or their child think, feel and act the way they do. For others, it can be a shock and takes time to come to terms with the diagnosis. The Fitzrovia Psychology Clinic is able to offer pre and post assessment support to individuals and their families who are being assessed for ASD.
Common Features of Autism Spectrum Disorder
Social Communication difficulties including:
- poor eye contact
- delayed or absent language development (non-verbal), or advanced ‘adult’ language
- talking at as opposed to with others
- difficulty in matching facial expressions to emotion
Social Skills and Understanding difficulties including:
- feeling overwhelmed in social situations
- poor understanding of personal space – getting too close to others or disliking others in your personal space
- misunderstanding or not recognising other people’s feelings or difficulty in expressing your own feelings
- social isolation
Behaviour, Interests and Activities:
- rigid and repetitive behaviour
- difficulties managing change to strict routines or rule breaking
- special and at times obsessive interests in particular things ranging from trains to rocks to dinosaurs
- inflexible thinking patterns making it difficult to engage in creative or spontaneous activities such as imaginative play
- literal interpretations of phrases, making humour, sarcasm and use of metaphors difficult to understand
Support for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
ASD can be diagnosed at any age, and so if you suspect that you or your child has ASD we recommend you seek support. It is important that ASD is diagnosed via a specialist assessment. If you would like to enquire about a private assessment, please contact us for further information.
Following assessment and diagnosis, holistic support is available which will vary according to the person’s individual strengths, difficulties and needs. We will be able to provide guidance on this and we offer a range of private treatment options for both the individual and parents or carers.
We’re here to help. If you would like to know more and arrange an assessment and support for ASD at the Fitzrovia Psychology Clinic, please contact us. We offer services from both our London and Surrey clinics.