‘Dialectics’ means trying to balance and find a synthesis between two opposing positions, with the goal of finding a ‘middle ground’ way of looking at and approaching events and experiences. In DBT, this will involve working towards finding a good balance between:
- Acceptance – accepting yourself as you are
- Change – making positive changes in your life
For example, when someone is able to understand and accept themselves, their experiences and their emotions, they can learn how to deal with thoughts and feelings in a different way.
DBT combines Cognitive Behaviour Therapy techniques and skills for emotion regulation and reality-testing, with concepts of and skills for distress tolerance, acceptance, interpersonal effectiveness and mindfulness.
Generally, DBT uses a two-pronged therapy approach:
1. Individual weekly psychology sessions
2. Weekly skills groups
DBT is a long-term, intensive therapeutic approach that generally lasts from six months to two years.
DBT at The Fitzrovia Psychology Clinic
Our integrated DBT Programme consists of both individual weekly therapy sessions and weekly Skills Group training sessions. We effectively co-ordinate care through our team consultation processes.
Weekly individual sessions typically last for 50 minutes. Between session phone coaching is available where appropriate. Sessions can be undertaken online or face to face. The focus of these sessions is to:
- Decrease self destructive and impulsive behaviours
- Decrease therapy-interfering behaviours
- Increase quality of life
- Increase effective strategies for managing emotions, behaviours and relationships
DBT Skills Groups
Why learn DBT Skills? Because you might:
- Be sensitive to emotional triggers
- Have intense emotions that may be overwhelming or last from minutes to hours
- Be vulnerable to acting impulsively when in “emotion mind” and sometimes make the situation worse
- Struggle with communication and problems in relationships which can cause distress
Groups are facilitated by two DBT therapists who combine lecture, discussion and practice exercises in each session, and they can be accessed either online or in person. We offer Skills Groups for:
If you would like advice on DBT or other treatments, please contact us so that you can feel confident in any decisions you make about your treatment. We are able to provide these DBT services from both our London and Surrey clinics, and online.